At Get Healthy Philly, we’re committed to helping Philadelphians enjoy long and healthy lives. It is important during this time to continue to develop healthy habits for yourself and your children. Here are some tips on food safety, cooking with kids, as well as some recipes for healthy snacks.
- Five great reasons to cook with your children.
- Eight tips for feeding Preschoolers.
- Tasks for kids in the kitchen.
- Food safety with children in the kitchen.
Healthy Snack Recipes for Children
Fruit Pizza Recipe
- 1 apple sliced crosswise into 8 slices (1/4 inch thick), seeds removed.
- 8 oz non-fat Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries chopped into pieces
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries cut in half
- 4 teaspoons chopped salted roasted pistachios
Spread each apple slice with 1 tablespoon non-fat Greek yogurt. Top with 1 tablespoon fresh chopped strawberries, 1 tablespoon fresh sliced blueberries, and 1/2 teaspoon pistachios. Enjoy!
With summer here and temperatures rising, here’s a healthy treat to help keep kids cool.
100% Fruit Popsicles
- 2 cups canned fruit in 100% juice or water
- 1 cup fresh fruit cut into small chunks (apples, strawberries, blueberries or pineapples)
Puree the canned fruit using a food processor or blender until fruit is smooth. Stir in pieces of whole fruit. Portion ½ cup of fruit mixture in small paper cups (or can use popsicle molds). Place popsicle stick in the center. Freeze for two hours or until hard. Enjoy!
Serving size: ½ cup
Per serving: Calories 60; total fat 0; sat fat 0; trans fat 0; cholesterol 0; protein 0; sodium 0; carbohydrates 15g; fiber 1g; sugar 13g; added sugar 0
Access to fresh food and produce may be different than what you are accustomed to. Free produce is available in Philadelphia. There are free food distribution sites all over the city, and all residents are eligible. No ID or proof of income is required.
Additionally, stay up-to-date on the latest information on COVID-19 in Philadelphia:
- Philadelphia residents can have COVID-19 updates sent directly to their phones. Text COVIDPHL to 888-777 to receive free alerts with news and updates
- Information is also being updated daily at phila.gov/COVID-19